VConsult Visa & Immigration

Temporary Residency

Home > Temporary Residency


What is a temporary resident visa (TRV)?

A temporary resident visa (TRV) is an official counterfoil document placed in a person’s passport by a visa office to show that they have met the requirements for temporary resident entrance to Canada.

The possession of a TRV does not guarantee admission to Canada. It is a privilege, not a right, for foreign nationals to be admitted to Canada as temporary residents.

Visitor visa:

A visiting visa (sometimes known as a temporary resident visa) is a piece of paper that we place in your passport. It demonstrates that you meet the entry requirements for Canada.

Most visitors to Canada require a visiting visa. If you’re passing through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination, you could require one.

A visitor visa can be applied online or on paper.

Fees: From $100
Processing time: Varies by country

Biometrics may be required as part of your application. This time does not include the time required to provide biometrics.

Most travelers can stay in Canada for up to six months.

The border services officer at the point of entry may authorize you to stay for less than or more than 6 months. If that’s the case, they’ll stamp your passport with the date you need to leave by. They may also provide you with a guest record, which will detail the date by which you must depart.

If your passport does not have a stamp, you can stay in Canada for up to 6 months from the date you entered or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. You can get a stamp from a border services officer if you need one. If you arrive at an airport that employs primary inspection kiosks, inquire after you have completed the kiosk.

Make sure you need a visitor visa before you apply


  • the sort of travel document you intend to use on your trip
  • the country that issued your travel document
  • your nationality
  • for this journey, your mode of travel to Canada

Temporary residents: Super visa

Ministerial Instructions were issued by the Ministers of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship and the Minister of Public Safety about the extended stay temporary residence visa (TRV) (super visa) for parents and grandparents, as well as the permissible term of an extended stay.

These Ministerial Instructions were issued in accordance with the ministerial authority found in subsection 15(4) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and direct officers to consider issuing to eligible parents and grandparents a multiple-entry TRV for up to 10 years, with the status period extending for up to 2 years on each entry to Canada.

Eligibility criteria and documentary requirements

An applicant is eligible for a super visa if they meet the requirements for temporary residence in Canada as a visitor and provide the additional required documentation. Specifically, they must provide the following:

  • proof of their link with the child or grandchild (who must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident), for example:
  • a copy of the birth certificate of the kid or grandchild;
  • a copy of the child’s or grandchild’s baptismal certificate; or
  • other formal document naming the applicant as the child’s biological parent.
  • proof of a medical examination and eligibility for admission based on health;
  • adequate proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance carrier, valid for at least one year from the date of the entrance (all must apply):
  • Health care, hospitalization, and repatriation are all covered for the applicant.
  • provides a minimum of $100,000 coverage;
  • is valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by the examining officer upon request.
  • a letter of invitation written and signed by the host child or grandchild promising financial support for the entire duration the applicant intends to stay in Canada;
  • In the form of one of the following documents, evidence of the child’s or grandchild’s ability to provide financial assistance by achieving the low-income cut-off (LICO) requirement (a co-signer may be added to fulfil the LICO minimum):
  • The most recent copy of the notice of assessment (if the child or grandchild does not have a paper copy of their notice of assessment on file, they can use the Canada Revenue Agency My Account online service to view and print their tax returns and other personal tax information by registering or logging in at;
  • a copy of the child’s or grandchild’s most recent T4 or T1 tax return;
  • a genuine letter from the employer of the kid or grandchild stating their:
    • job title;
    • job description;
  • pay stubs from a child’s or grandchild’s employment insurance, including:
    • If the kid or grandchild is self-employed, a statement from an accountant proving their annual income;
Note: The proof of financial requirements (LICO) must include information regarding the number of individuals in the host’s family, as well as proof of income for the entire number of people, including the visiting parent(s) or grandparent(s) (s). It is not intended to cover non-visiting family members in the visitor’s household, regardless of whether they may be mentioned as dependants in the visitor’s FC4 application.

    Free Immigration


    We have a team of ICCRC registered immigration expert, who are having an experience of more than 10+ years in the field of business visa program who can help in speeding up the process and help you understand the process requirements.