VConsult Visa & Immigration

Study Permit

Home > Study Permit



Canadian schools cater to students of diverse interests and backgrounds, from elementary school to universities and colleges, language schools to vocational programmes. Canadian students obtain high-quality, internationally recognised educations that prepare them for future professional endeavours. This is compounded by cheaper tuition fees and living expenditures than in other wealthy countries. In Canada, there are over 300,000 international students, a number that is steadily increasing. You may be eligible to receive a study permit to study in Canada if you have been accepted to a Canadian educational institution. Not only that, but education is a common route to permanent residency in Canada. Continue reading to find out more.

Education as a pathway to Canadian permanent residence

A Canadian post-secondary degree is not only beneficial in terms of education and professional opportunities, but it is also a popular path to permanent residency in Canada.


  • Work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during the summer;
  • once the programme is successfully finished, acquire a Post-Graduation Work Permit for the comparable term of the courses, allowing students to stay in Canada for several years before becoming permanent residents;
  • bring a spouse or common-law partner to Canada on an open full-time work permit, allowing them to work for any business.
  • bring small children with them to study in Canada at the same rate as Canadians; and
  • As previously indicated, you can apply for permanent residence in Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), Quebec’s immigration system, or the Express Entry immigration selection system.

Get a study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream

Using the Student Direct Stream, some international students can get their study permits faster.

To be eligible for faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must:

  • Be a legal resident living in:

Antigua and Barbuda




Costa Rica







Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Trinidad and Tobago


  • have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution
  • prove that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study
  • live outside of Canada when you apply
  • hold a C$10,000 Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
  • have a Certificatd’acceptation du Québec from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion, if you’re planning to study in Quebec
  • Before you apply, have a medical exam (if you need one)
  • Before you apply, acquire a police certificate (if you need one)
  • have a language test result that shows:
  • a score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or
  • a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score of at least 7 in each competence on the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) (reading, writing, speaking, and listening)

You may also need to provide other documents. Make sure you have all of the paperwork the visa office will need to process your application.

Banks that offer GICs

A GIC can be obtained from any bank listed on the website of the Canadian Deposit Insurance Company. Make sure the bank you choose offers a GIC and meets the criteria for the Student Direct Stream.

The following banks offer GICs that meet the criteria:

  • Bank of Beijing
  • Bank of China
  • Bank of Montreal
  • Bank of Xian Co. Ltd.
  • Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
  • HSBC Bank of Canada
  • ICICI Bank
  • Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
  • RBC Royal Bank
  • SBI Canada Bank
  • Scotiabank

Medical exams and police certificates

You may need to receive a medical checkup or a police certificate depending on where you’re applying from. You must submit them with your application to receive speedier processing through the Student Direct Stream (if you need them). If you don’t, we won’t be able to complete your application as quickly as we would like.

You may need to get a medical exam if:

  • you spent six months or more in specific countries or territories the year before you came to Canada, or
  • you plan on studying or working in:
  • the health field
  • primary or secondary education, or
  • child or elder care

To receive a medical examination, you must go to an IRCC-approved doctor.

Who needs a police certificate

If you require a police certificate, the instructions from the visa office will notify you. When you choose your nation of residency from the list below, you’ll see these instructions. Before you apply, make sure you read the guidelines to see if you need a police certificate or any other papers.

Bring your spouse, partner, or child to Canada with you.

Your spouse, common-law partner, and children under the age of 18 may also be eligible for expedited processing on a:

  • visitor visa
  • work permit
  • study permit

You must submit their applications at the same time as you submit your own. If you don’t, we won’t be able to process their applications as quickly as we would like. When filling out your online application, indicate that you will be bringing family members to Canada. This will allow you to finish their applications while also completing your own.

    Free Immigration


    We have a team of ICCRC registered immigration expert, who are having an experience of more than 10+ years in the field of business visa program who can help in speeding up the process and help you understand the process requirements.